New backcountry restrictions have been put in place to limit environmental impacts in the wilderness, including two high-use, sensitive areas in the Siskiyou and Trinity Alps wilderness areas.
In a move that has been a long time in the making, the Klamath National forest has enacted restrictions in two of the most visited backcountry destinations on the forest. This action could not have been more timely, as more people are visiting the backcountry this year than ever before. Signs are going to be posted immediately — though in a recent informal survey few visitors to the Siskiyou Wilderness even read the signs at the trailhead.
There have been numerous reports of people behaving poorly in the wilderness this summer including graffiti on mountain summits, beer bottles being smashed on rocks riverside, and groups of over 25 people gathering to play Frisbee on sensitive meadow systems. We need to continue to work with the forest service to provide outreach and education about Leave No Trace in these places we love.
Thanks to everyone involved in making these restrictions a reality.
There is much more to be done.
Wilderness Area Restrictions Summary
- Using a campsite or any other area within the Siskiyou Wilderness, Marble Mountain Wilderness, or Russian Wilderness Areas by a group of more than 15 persons. 36 CFR 261.58(f).
- Using a campsite or any other area within the Trinity Alps Wilderness by a group of more than 10 persons. 36 CFR 261.58(f).
- Building, maintaining, attending a campfire within the following Restricted Areas, as described below and shown on the attached maps:
- Caribou Lakes Restricted Area. The boundary of the Caribou Lake Watershed Restricted Area begins at the northwest corner of Section 35, Township 37 North, Range 10 West, Mt. Diablo Base and Meridian, then continues east along the section line to its intersection with the northeast comer of Section 35, then continues south along the section line to its intersection with the southeast corner of Section 35, Township 36 1/2 North, Range 10 West, then continues west along the section line to the southwest corner of Section 35, then continues north along the section line back to the starting point.
- Devil’s Punchbowl Restricted Area. The Devil’s Punchbowl Watershed Restricted Area consists of all of Section 6, Township 16 North, Range 5 East, Humboldt Base and Meridian, as shown on the attached map.