Eureka dates from May, 1850 when it was established to supply the gold miners seeking their fortunes inland. By 1865, the local economy began to shift as demand for lumber increased in the more populated areas farther south. Prominent Eurekans who prospered from commerce and the fishing and timber industries, could easily purchase lumber and employed talented craftsmen to build the Victorian-era homes that still exist today. This walk is routed by a sample of remaining homes, many in excellent condition. This walk and its companion walk through Old Town provide a glimpse into this architectural past.
The route:
Proceed east on 7th Street past the Eureka Inn taking a right on βHβ Street.
The Eureka Inn (1922). This 150-room (104 guest rooms) structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in the half-timbered Tudor style and worth a trip inside.
730 βHβ Street β The Thomas F. Ricks house, built (c. 1885) in the Eastlake style, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
In two blocks turn right on 9th Street and left on βGβ Street.
904 βGβ Street – The Simpson-Vance House is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Redwood Community Action Agency occupies this grand Queen Anne style house built in 1892.
In two blocks, turn left on 11th and right on βHβ Street. Continue to 17th Street and turn right and right again on βGβ Street. Walk on βGβ Street to 9th Street. Turn left and left again on βFβ Street.
1018 βHβ Street — Veterans Memorial Hall (1930). Built as a WPA project, this Art Deco building underwent a $9 million renovation completed in 2019.
1125 βHβ Street β Cornelius Daly Inn. This Colonial Revival, built in 1905, takes its influence from the early colonial styles of the Atlantic Seaboard.
1134 βHβ Street β Queen Anne style (1900)
1230 βHβ Street — 8,500 square foot Charles Wright House
1411 βHβ Street β Stick/Eastlake house (1890)
1603 βHβ Street β Colonial Revival style house (1904) common on this walk.
1604 βHβ Street β This cottage features an intricately carved Eastlake porch (1887)
On reaching 17th Street, turn right, proceed one block, turn right again on βGβ Street
1604 βGβ Street β Eastlake style cottage (1887) This house, the Magdalena Zanone House, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The undeveloped lot to the south was once a City park and terminus of a streetcar line.
1501 β 1503 βGβ Street β Eastlakestyle house (1888). Note hitching post on the sidewalk.
1226 βGβ Street β Stick/Eastlake style house (1889)
1103 β 1109 βGβ Street β Queen Anne style house (1902) subsequently converted into a four-plex.
Turn left on 11th Street and left on βEβ Street.
1302 βEβ Street β Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style house (1893)
1304 βEβ Street – Queen Anne/Eastlake/Stick style cottage (1893) constructed by the same builder as 1302 βEβ Street.
Turn right on Hillsdale and left on βCβ Street in two blocks.
Hillsdale Avenue β although only two blocks long, this offers a glimpse of late 19th Century architecture at its peak.
1228 βCβ Street β The Cottrell House (1902). This house blends Eastlake and Queen Anne features. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
1406 βCβ Street β The William S. Clark house (1888) was one of Eurekaβs nicest homes. It is an Eastlake style with some Queen Anne flourishes. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
1405 βBβ Street, 1313 βBβ Street, and 1218 βBβ Street were all built in the Eastlake/Stick style (1880s)
Turn right on 14th and right again on βBβ Street. Turn left on Clark and right on βAβ Street. Turn right on Washington Street and right again on βCβ Street. Turn left on Grant. Cross βEβ Street and enter the Annie B Ryan Garden passing through the gate on the east side and continuing along the south side of the Annie B. Ryan House (home to the Eureka Heritage Society) to βFβ Street. Turn left on βFβ Street returning to the beginning of the route.
Jefferson Project β formerly the Jefferson Elementary School, this space has been transformed by community volunteers of Eurekaβs Westside Community Improvement Association.
10 W. Clark β Italianate (inspired by Italian Renaissance architecture) cottage (1884)
βEβ Street had a horse drawn railway system on it from 1892 β 1897
1000 βFβ Street β Annie B. Ryan House (1892). This Queen Anne cottage was restored by classes from the College of the Redwoods with the gardens (accessible from βEβ Street) maintained by Eureka Heritage Society volunteers.
925 βFβ Street — Similar to other single story Eastlake houses seen along the route (1885).
More historical and architectural richness exists in the area covered by this walk than can be recounted in the space available here. See Jackson (1983) and the Architectural Resources Group (1987) for wonderful detail.



Leave a Reply