Vernal pools are unique ephemeral wetlands formed within mysterious, enduring landscapes.
California’s Great Valley supports the most extensive and diverse vernal pool habitats in the world. This book provides a focused treatment of the best remaining opportunities for vernal pool landscape conservation in the Great Valley based on years of research, analysis, and field experience. It provides an engaging presentation to inspire and inform the reader about the beauty and conservation values of vernal pool habitats.
Featured in this guide are:
- Individual sections profiling each of the eight Vernal Pool Regions defined in the Great Valley
- Maps and descriptions of specific recommended habitat blocks for ongoing conservation
- A first-of-its-kind presentation of the geologic history of the Great Valley as it relates to vernal pool formation
- Photographs of most of the rare species addressed in the guide
- Full color maps and tables
- Epic landscape photos